Tuesday, June 10, 2008

We Love You Papa April 1, 1927 - April 28, 2008

My Papa, George L. Chaney, passed away in late April from liver cancer. Papa had been to visit us in Seattle, and we got to spend almost a month with him. I put him on a plane to return to GA on a tuesday and the following tuesday the girls and I were headed home for the funeral. He died just 6 short days after he left us.

At the funeral so many people kept coming up to me and telling me how much Papa had been looking forward to his trip out to Seattle to see us. They said it was all he talked about and had asked everyone to pray for him that his health would allow him to make the trip to see his newest great grandbaby and to visit with me & Lilah & Bill in our new home. Everyone felt when he got back home he had done what he really wanted to do and was ready to go and be with the Lord.
Lilah loved Papa's artifical leg. She was constantly pulling on the metal piece at the end of it trying to figure it all out. And when Papa was napping she'd move his leg and cane to play with them, and then he couldn't get up! We got lots of laughs out of her fascination with the leg.

During Papa's visit he told me he has had a wonderful and blessed life and was ready to go, that not much would change now between now and the end and he had done all he wanted to do. For those of you who don't know, Papa raised me in his home after my mother passed away when I was 15 years old. There are no words to describe how much he has meant to me.
I am at peace with Papa's passing. He lived to be 81 years old and he made the most of every year he was given. And he had been so broken hearted and lonely since Nanny passed away, and I am happy knowing they are together again. I was so proud of him over the last two years he did a lot of traveling and trying new things like eating dim sum and working on his technique with chop sticks. I know Papa knew I loved him and I know without a doubt he loved me. There were no words left unsaid between us. Although I have peace with his passing I do miss him terribly. I was in GA for almost a month trying to help settle the estate. There were so many things that were left from my Mom's home, as well as going through all of Nanny & Papa's things from the home they had lived in since 1965. It was saying good bye to 3 very important people in my life. It was a lot of memories, but am a thankful to have had such wonderful people to help me grow into the person I am today. I've enclosed pictures of his time with us during what we now know was his last month of life. It was my honor that I got to spend those days with him and I'll cherish those memories forever. And Aubry Jane will feel so special to know Papa made such a big trip for her.
We love you Papa!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya know sister, looking back onto Papa's birthday-I wouldn't trade a thing. Not even the Korean food!!!! LOL- I love ya!
Love, Cindy

Anonymous said...

Everyone who ever met Papa was touched by him! He was loved by all! Kathryn

Anonymous said...

I know how much Papa meant to you. I am glad that you and the girls got to spend his last month with him. Sending hugs, positive thoughts, and prayers your way.
~Sherry