Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Lilah is Going to be a Big Sister!!

That's right, you read the headline correctly, Lilah is going to be a Big Sister. We're pregnant, currently 16 weeks, the new addition to the family is due February 24th, 2008! Lilah and her new sibling will be 13 months apart. At first I thought, "Oh, I can do this, Lilah will be walking a little, it'll work out." Then I went to two different 1 year old birthday parties and realized 1 is a little younger than I thought. I think I was imagining more around 18 months..... then the panic started to sink in. But, we're excited! I've just decided the next few years will be rather hectic, but eventually it'll be great because the kids will be so close in age.
We announced our big new to Oma & Opa in Seattle this past weekend. We were holding out to tell them in person together, so now that they know we can tell everybody! I had Lilah a t-shirt made that read "I"M THE BIG SISTER" on the front with a monkey. On the back it says, "February 2008" with 2 monkeys. Lilah put on the t-shirt late in the afternoon and wore it around ALL evening, waiting on Oma and Opa to notice. But they never did.
Finally we had to get Norah, Lilah's oldest cousin who is 4, to say "Oma & Opa please read Lilah's t-shirt." They were almost speechless and very surprised, but Oma said she guessed it when we arrived at the airport by the way I looked the night before. Opa kept saying "5 under 5," that's the number of grand kids all under 5. Sounds like a band doesn't it? Here's a picture of Opa playing with Lilah and still not reading the t-shirt. He said if it had been morning instead of night it wouldn't have slipped by him.
We're not going to find out the sex of the baby, at least that's what I'm saying right now. I always said for my first baby i'd be surprised. So Lilah being my first, not only did I know, I chose, so I think I can show some restraint, but we'll see, i may be unable to resist.
Lilah had a great weekend in Seattle with her cousins. She is really crazy about Norah the oldest who makes her laugh a lot. And it was fun to see her and Lauren playing together, so cute because they are the same size doing lots of the same things. And no matter how you try, you can never get all the kids to look at the camera at once.

Wanted to give folks a few pointers now that we're pregnant. Please try to resist the temptation to say, "See I told you that you would get pregnant as soon as you adopted." Please remember we've been trying to have a family over 2.5 years and this was a result of my surgery for endometriosis, not a result of less stress now that we have Lilah. Now if you want to say this was part of God's plan, i'll go along with that. Bill & I always said we wanted to adopt, except we had planned to adopt the 3rd baby. With us being in our 30's we needed to get started on the bio kids first. But when #1 was slow in coming, Bill said let's move the adopted baby from #3 to #1, and we did. I believe with all my heart that Lilah was meant to be our daughter. So the good Lord may have delayed things, moved back things, etc, just so we'd be in the right place at the right time for Lilah or she would have ended up with a different family and she was truly meant to be ours. Bill says Lilah has brought us good luck.

Also, please don't say things like, "Now you'll have a baby of your own." Lilah is our own baby, I take care of her and love her everyday, she is mine forever. Please also don't say things like this is a baby of your blood, ...... Lilah was not born from me, but she is a result of a lot of hard work, dedication, and love on mine and Bill's part for all the things that had to happen for this little angel to be in our life. It is a miracle to me how it all happened, all the things that had to be in place so she'd be ours, it truly shows that there are some things in life that are truly meant to be, and Lilah was meant to be our baby.

So if anyone ever asks, I"ll tell them they are both my children, one is hand picked and the other home grown. I just feel so blessed to have the experience of being a mother through adoption and biological. I just wish everyone in the world could know how good if feels to adopt a baby, to know your family was so destined to be that even a big ocean couldn't keep you from each other.

24 comments:

Carissa said...

First congratulations! Second a friend of mine who this happened to always says to her two daughters one grew in her heart and the other in her tummy but that she loved them equally! They loved telling people which grew where even though it was quite obvious! I do believe that you could not have asked for a better blessing!

KelleyO said...

What an incredibly beautiful post! It made me cry. Congratulations on your new sweetie. You have such a lovely family.

Shantel H. said...

Oh my gosh! How exciting! Another baby journey to read about in your blog for the next few months huh? :) I can't believe you are already 16 weeks! You're almost halfway, that is unreal. Congrats to you, Bill and Lilah! Guess you better start working on picking another name huh? Seems like you JUST did that ;0) I'm so excited for you! Having 2 so close in age will be alot of fun... they will be great pals always! Love Lilah's shirt...I noticed it right away in the photos :)
Shantel

Anonymous said...

Congrats. Funny how life works out.

Julie said...

Congratulations! Our children are also close in age and it's THE BEST! When our younger son was able to sit up and play in the sandbox for the first time, our older son's face lit up with joy realizing he now had a buddy who could play with him! We're a homegrown and hand picked (World Child) family too - we leave Saturday to go meet our two baby girls in Thai Nguyen! Blessings to you and your family from us!

Anonymous said...

Yeh!! I am so glad that I can FINALLY tell people that I am going to be an aunt again!! I am thrilled for you, Bill and Lilah! I think that those little siblings are fabulous!! Lilah and the new baby will have so much fun together. I am eagar to watch the blog so that I can see both Lilah and you grow!!! Love you lots! Kat Balou

April said...

Congrats on your pregnancy!! I think that you will have an adventure over the next couple of years but...who doesn't love and adventure?!!

I love the requests that you made. You did put it so eloquently. We have chosen adoption first as well. When we try for a "home grown" child (which we plan to do quickly after bringing home baby #1) we might just borrow what you have written as you were very kind in your requests but also put them in a way that would help others that might not understand...to understand! My prayers it that God will bless your growing family!

Dawn said...

CONGRATULATIONS ~ That is wonderful!!!

Leslie said...

You rock Mamasita x2! You know I always love how you say things, and "hand picked and home grown" sounds just like the wonderful woman and mommy you are :) Congrats again and again Moore family, and please keep the blog going so we can all enjoy growing babies and growing tummies! Love you, Les

S. said...

Yes, your post made me cry too. Beautifully written.

And big congrats!

Michelle and Peter said...

Congrats! What happy news.

Michelle

stollmyheart said...

Congratulations! That's great news. I love your tips of what to and what not to say! Smart! Congrats again!

Kathryn said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for both of you. You'll have the best of both worlds and get to experience it all! So you were pregnant already when you were in Vietnam. Did you suspect even back then? Is Oma and Opa your grandparents?

Anonymous said...

Amanda, Bill & Lilah, congrats on your wonderful news!!! YAY!

Dawn said...

Coming back with another comment...16 weeks. Was this child conceived in Vietnam also?? :-) Wishing you all the love and joy that your children will bring you!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God Amanda! I am so happy for you! I am literally in tears! Your babies will be so close! I know what you went thru with trying for 2.5 years for a baby. Even though I got pregnant with Brianna easily, it is not always easy. We started trying for baby #2 when she was 8 months old, so we have been going thru that for 3 1/2 years. It is hard to want something so bad and not get it. I am so glad that you were able to adopt Lilah, and I agree with you, she is very much your baby. She was definitely meant for your family. She will be such a great big sister. I can't wait to see pics of Lilah as she grows (and your belly as it grows. Congratulations again! My big sister had her babies 14 months apart, it was hard on her but she made it just as you will.

I have to say that it is sad that people have to put warnings as to what to say and what not to say to you. People really should have more respect for you and your family than that. To me, no matter whether or not a child is biological or adopted, that child is very much your child. You are the one raising the child. Oh and I love your line about Lilah being hand picked and the new baby being home grown. I read something once where an adopted child was thinking they were not as special as the bio children, the mother said "You are very special because I chose you out of all the babies in the world to be mine."

Lots of love! Good luck!
~ Sherry

Karen said...

I am so happy for you! Lilah will be a great big sister to her new baby brother or sister (I say it's a girl!) Congratulations!

Ange said...

Congratulations on your second baby! wonderful news for sure.

Catherine said...

WOW!!! I just read your blog and am thrilled for you!!! You are so very, very lucky:)

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I am so excited for all of you. That being sad coming from a family were I was "home grown" and having siblings "hand picked" is a wonderful thing. My parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins treated us no different from one another. We were all family no matter what. That being said Lilah is yours just as much as the new addition. Just remember that the Lord does not give you more than you can handle and girl you can handle anything.

Love,
Gayle

charisa said...

Terrific news, you will be "in the trenches" next year. I remember when my older girls were little. Life was so busy. Remember me when they are BOTH in the carseats screaming!!! I was like, what happened to my life, but I would not have changed a thing. CLose in age means a life long friend, a playmate, someone to laugh and fight with. Good luck, you are blessed!
Charisa

Jennifer said...

Wow - haven't checked your blog in a while - Congrats!!! Wonderful news!

Mary said...

Congratulations! You will be doubly blessed. How wonderful!

Mary (Ernabel on Yahoo Groups)

Monique said...

Just read your wonderful news and congrats! Enjoy every pregnancy phase, it goes by so quickly. I hope you don't have a difficult pregnancy. Mine was so easy that I wanted to have another baby right away ;-) My husband said the second one would be total opposite...so we decided to adopt five yrs after the fact! Congrats again.