Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Two Clowns

If Thuy could have a voice of her own, I hope she would say, these two clowns (Mom & Dad) are starting to get the hang of it. We are starting to learn what makes her laugh. She loves raspberries on her chubby neck and on her belly and she likes the funny thing we do with our hands to grab her. And she loves when you talk to her in certain ways. Making her laugh is so much fun.

And we're starting to understand some of the cries. I now can recognize the I'm very tired cry. And last night she slept in the crib again. She woke up several times, I picked her up, snuggled for just a few minutes, then she was right back to sleep. And I now know the cry with tears in it means somethings really wrong, like hungry, wet, scared, etc. The no tears, means I just want to be held or you're not holding me the way I want to be held.

This morning Bill went and picked up her Vietnamese passport. Tomorrow morning we're getting picked up from the hotel at 07:45 to take her for her medical exam. I'm excited to find out how much she weighs.

And it is SOOOOOO HOT! Today Bill and Thuy stayed indoors while me, Oma, and Aunty went to do a little shopping. I was dripping sweat in a matter of seconds. (For those of you about to travel, be sure to bring light weight clothing. And don't over pack. We only packed enough clothes for a week and we do laundry at a place just outside the hotel. Its usually $1-2 per kilo). On our outing today we found the VN version of subway. So we ordered some sandwiches with Vietnamese bologna, a lot like Bale sandwich shop in Hawaii, and they were quite delicious. At times I'm starting to find myself noodled out and ready for a coke with ice and maybe some french fries.

5 comments:

Shantel H. said...

You are a fast learner! Glad you are able to distinguish her cries already... isn't that just the greatest thing? What an adorable photo... it's so cute that she is laughing! I don't know how you are standing that heat! Sounds pretty intense! Do they not have coke over there? I thought Coke was universal, LOL. At the Coke museum in Atlanta they have the different ones from all over the world so I just assumed it was sold everywhere! :)

Anonymous said...

Good job on already learning the different cries and what they mean...you and Bill are such good parents and fast learners!! I love the picture of her laughing. I can tell that y'all are having so much fun with her. Sounds like y'all are getting closer to bringing her home. So exciting. Love you all, Kat Balou

S. said...

I am absolutely dreading no diet cokes with ice. I am a good traveler--but that will be hard to give up!

Anonymous said...

Dear "s"...don't fret you can get diet cokes with ice in Vietnam! We did! There are several places that the SOS clinic told us the ice was safe and we didn't have a problem. Some places called it Coca Cola Light instead of Diet Coke. You can also find it in bottles or cans at the Citimart in Hanoi Towers and Intimex near Hoan Kiem Lake!

Amanda-she looks like she is doing a big belly laugh in the picture! How amazing...you and Bill are naturals! I don't even you in the heat! Stay cool!

Melissa

Kathryn said...

I just love seeing her laugh! The heat and humidity is the one thing I am not looking forward to in Vietnam. I love the summer, but I'm not too good with extreme heat and humidity. The humidity can get pretty intense here in Chicago.