Friday, June 1, 2007

WELCOME TO PARENTHOOD

Gotcha Day went so well, we then came back to the hotel. She took a bottle, took a nap, we put her in the baby lounger and even watched a movie. It all seemed to be going so well. Then about 2300 it all started to change. She started crying and crying and just wouldn't stop. And even when I did get her to sleep by walking, swinging back and forth, singing, patting.... you name it, i'd lay her down and before I even stepped away from her she'd start crying again. She is eating like a newborn, just 1-2 oz every 3 hours. So needless to say we got very little sleep. She wouldn't even go to sleep unless I was holding her. I know that sounds terrible, but it was the only way I could go to sleep by laying her in this one position on top of my chest and then we could both rest a little.

Last night during the night Bill's Mom, (Oma) was up wanting to help, but we really wanted to do it ourselves. We wanted to learn how to soothe her. But about 05:30 this am when she was awake again after such little sleep on my part I was quite happy to have Oma's help. Our cousins then came over at 0700 to take us for VN pancakes. It was so sweet of them to want to see the baby and be so excited and want to take us out to celebrate. We were a little tired so I hope they knew how much we appreciated there kindness. Bill got her in the Bjorn and off we went. Mom's thrift shop bjorn seems to work well. Its old enough that its really soft & comfortable.

We saw some other new families in the hotel and they all said how great their babies slept and what a great night... so much for misery wanting company.

But we awoke to a baby smiling and very happy this morning with no memory of the night. She does already seem to scream the minute we sit her down, but she's had some big life changes in the last 24 hours and I would need lots of snuggling too!

10 comments:

Catherine said...

I am so happy for you!!!! It was WONDERFUL to read about your experiences and very touching to hear about Thuy's birth mom. It brings back incredible memories of our journey there. Hang in there-Thuy has been through quite a bit in the last 24 hours. You are all going to be fine-this is just part of the process.

Anonymous said...

I kept checking the blog for your G&R news and was so disappointed when I logged on early this am not to find it! It is now midnight and I had to check before I went to bed! I feel so excited for you both! Thuy is so blessed to have such loving, generous, and compassionate parents. She is beautiful. This is the getting to know each other time and before long you will know exactly what she wants, what she needs, and why she's crying. She already finds so much comfort from both of you! Thank you for sharing your
journey!!

Much Love, Juls

charisa said...

You were in my thoughts all day, and when I woke up I checked your blog and am so thrilled for you. YOU HAVE HER! So much waiting and anticipation and now you are a forever family.
Charisa

S. said...

It doesn't sound terrible that she needed you to hold her to go sleep--for her right now that is a legitimate need, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with meeting that need! Hang in there! I hope the nights get easier!

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with holding that baby to sleep. She needs to know that there is some stabilty with you and Bill. I am glad that she would sleep with you holding her-she knows who her mommy is. That is wonderful! Truth of it is if she sleeps and you and Bill can rest go for it however you can get it. I did with both of my kids-it will not hurt anyone.

Love to you all!!
Gayle

Shantel H. said...

Oh my goodness gracious.... that is one precious photo! You will cherish that for a long, long time. Bill already looks like a pro with that Bjorn! :) Thuy is beautiful and I'm so happy for you all! You are right, Thuy has been through a lot and it will definitely take her some time to adjust. Even babies who aren't going through such a huge adjustment have the "separation anxiety" phase (mine did!) so don't worry too much about that right now. Holding her and letting her sleep with you right now is absolutely fine! I'm pretty sure she won't need to sleep on your chest when she's 12 yrs old :) So I hope you and Bill aren't too hard on yourselves for letting her sleep with you and holding her a lot! In no time at all she'll be an independent little girl and you'll long for these times when she wanted to be held and cuddled so much! Enjoy it :) Again, I'm THRILLED for you guys! Aaron has been reading the blog too and he also sends his congratulations. Love, Shantel

Dawn said...

I am so happy for you that you have your daughter with you. What precious pictures and I agree with the sleeping arrangements. Do what you feel is right for YOU and it will be the best for everyone.

Anonymous said...

You guys are great-Thuy needs to know you are her comfort. Each day will be a new as all 3 of you learn what each other needs to adjust. Its great that she needs you to hold her close to you. You guys are her security and she is learning this. Enjoy and cherish each moment. Remember that the love & time you 3 share together will bring beautiful memories when she is up and running around. No one can ever take away the memories you make today.
Congratulations!!!! Love Cindy

Anonymous said...

The pictures we've been waiting for! The elation you feel is evident on all of your faces. I couldn't be happier to hear that things went smoothly on your G & R day. Can't wait for you guys to get back!
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Riley is almost 2 and we still hold her until she goes to sleep most days. When Riley first came home we were told by our case worker to hold her against our bare skin as much as we could. She said this allowed her become familiar with our scents as well as help her bond with us. It didn't take Riley long before she began to bond with us. I tell Andy all the time that I hope when she is 13 she still wants to cuddle up with us. Love you guys, Kelly, Andy and Riley