Monday, May 14, 2007

OMA



In honor of our recent Mother's Day, I thought I'd use this opportunity to talk about Bill's Mom. As many of you know, Mom is from Vietnam, which is how we easily came to decide on Vietnam for our country of choice for adoption. It will be great for Thuy that we already have the Vietnamese culture or at least some of the culture in our family. Besides, I think Thuy will like growing up around her Oma (grandma) speaking Vietnamese and having someone in the family she somewhat resembles in terms of being Asian.


Mom will be coming with us to VN to get Thuy and she is very excited. There's not a time when I talk to her on the phone that she isn't asking if its time to go yet. She even has her visa ready. We thought earlier she may be on a cruise during our trip and she even made sure she'd be able to jump ship and meet us in VN.


Mom can't wait for the day we're out shopping, eating dinner or something and someone says to us, "Oh, Thuy looks just like her grandma!"


We're very fortunate to be able to have Mom travel with us, it will mean a lot to Thuy one day to know her Oma was there to welcome her to the family, as well as helping us translate with the birth family if possible. The only problem will be deciding who gets to hold Thuy more, us or Oma!


Mom took me to VN this past fall for the very first time to visit with family and experience Vietnam. It was just the two of us and we had a great time. I was goo goo eyed over every beautiful VN baby I saw. Mom even arranged for a group of mopeds to take us touring. I'm sure Thuy will look forward to the day that she and Oma go to VN together! Here's a few pictures from our trip.
And for the other two great Mom's in my life, my Mother and Nanny who are now with me in spirit, I know they will do their best to keep Thuy safe till we arrive in Lang Son to bring her home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill and Amanda - I am so excited for you guys. I know how important choosing a name for your Princess is. It took Robbie and me FOREVER to agree - I'll keep you in my prayers. Please keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome that you have her to bring with you. I think she may love the trip to her granddaughter more than any other!