Saturday, May 12, 2007

QUEEN'S MEDICAL CENTER EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH


This past Thursday at work I was given quite a big honor by my hospital. I was named employee of the month. I was at work and my manager came by to say she needed me to go with her to the Magnet Champion meeting. Queen's is striving for magnet designation and I am the person starting the movement for our unit. She said she had someone to cover the unit while I was gone. So, as she and I are leaving the ICU, I see my favorite patient ever, coming down the hall! He is 16 years old and this is the first time I've seen him since his accident last year. He told me he had just came by to visit the unit. This is not at all unusual, we have lots of patients that come back by to say hello after they have been to rehab. Kawehi, my manager, tells him we're running late for a meeting and just to walk with us. So he and I start catching up as we take the elevator together to the meeting 5 floors up. As we approach the door to the meeting, Kawehi just starts walking in and I thought, "Hey, I need to say goodbye to my favorite patient, i just can't leave him out in the hall." And then I hear "SURPRISE." There's a large group of people all yelling surprise holding up popsicle sticks with my head on them. I said "Surprise for what." Employee of the month for Queen's I was quickly informed. The CEO & CNO of the hospital were there to congratulate me and present me with a nice letter of appreciation, $200 dollars, and a one month pass for parking (which is a highly valued prize), not to mention they invited my very favorite patient to attend. He had been part of it all along. They really suprised me. We then preceded to have a great party with tons of delicious foods. They even arranged to have Bill there as a surprise.
I was given 16 Leis total (i counted them) and a gorgeous haku made by Kawehi's husband. A haku is the beautiful headpiece I am wearing. I felt like an absolute princess! I told Bill let's get married again and I'll wear a haku. It felt so magical and special to wear. I must tell you this was such an honor. I work with such a fine group of people, our nurses, doctors, and of course our beloved secretary Yo. These people work so hard everyday and have such compassion for the people they care for it is truly amazing. Queen's is my very first nursing job. I have learned so much from each and every person I work with. To be honored by such an amazing and fine group of people is truly an honor, and I feel very blessed to be a part of their Ohana.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Amanda! What a wonderful surprise for Ken and me to read this this morning. And Happy Mother's Day for an awaiting mom! Please keep us posted on the visa and travel dates.
Donna
PAP of Phoebe Jade, Thuy's Special Friend from LangSon.

Anonymous said...

I bet you smelled wonderful! That is cool.

Anonymous said...

You rock Queen Nurse Amanda! I'm so proud of you! I always knew you were the best :) We can't wait to mee Thuy in August, I'm counting the days!! Happy Mother's Day!! Love you lots! Les

S. said...

Congrats! That is awesome. Nurses can have such a tremendous impact on people, glad your dedication was recognized!

Anonymous said...

Always told you that you are a great nurse!!! What a great honor. Congratulations-Cindy