Thursday, May 24, 2007

SWAP MEET LOOT




We were told by our agency that we'll need small gifts for the 20 Nannies who care for the children at the orphanage, which of course we are very happy to do. Items suggested were little goody bags containing small lotions, cosmetics, lip balm, chocolate, etc. And of course we wanted something special for Thuy's primary caregiver. All of these people help care for your child, but usually there is one primary Nanny or caregiver who cares for your baby.


My objectives for gift selection are to have something small, light, and when you're buying 20, reasonably priced, and something that would not melt in our suitcase during our travels. As I pondered over what to get, I thought these ladies must get tons of lotion and snacks. Every month there are at least 4 families traveling to Lang Son, all bringing gifts. How much lotion can you really use?


So, I headed to the local Swap Meet here in Honolulu yesterday for inspiration. For those of you who have never been to Honolulu, or are planning to visit in the future. Never buy your souvenirs downtown or in Waikiki. Always head out to Aloha stadium for the huge flea market known as The Swap Meet open Wed & weekends only. They've got tons of Hawaiian treasures, just like in the higher end touristy shops, but reasonably priced, and there's always the option of haggling.


We've been told by previous travelers that the Vietnamese people love gifts that from America or represent one's state such as hats or t-shirts with your state on it. So the first thing I purchased was 16 Hawaii t-shirts to give to people who help us along the way like our van driver to the orphanage, helpful hotel staff, etc. I want to make a good impression on the people of Vietnam and show our gratitude, even in the simple form of a t-shirt from Hawaii. There are many families who will come behind us, and we want the impression we leave behind to be of a family very thankful to the people of Vietnam for the opportunity to adopt a child.


For the Nanny's I selected these beautiful change purses (or whatever you want to put in them). Hawaii is well known for its beautiful quilts. The designs always represent something like family, loyalty, or just the beautiful plants and pineapples of Hawaii. When Bill and i got married for my wedding gift he got me a wall hanging quilt that means "Noble Beginnings." So i thought the change purses would be useful, different from lotion, and represent Hawaii. I also purchased ponytail holders, clips, and barrettes with Plumeria's on them. These are very fragrant and popular flowers in Hawaii. And lots of local people wear these kinds of clips I even have one. And many VN ladies have long hair, so I thought the clips would prove useful. And then I purchased candy to go in the change purses too, stuff like nerds and laffy taffy. I plan to assemble the change purses with all the goodies in them in our hotel room in Hanoi.
There's these commercials on tv, newspaper, etc that say "Lucky you live Hawaii." And I was definately feeling this way today as I drove off with all my treasures!

4 comments:

amanda said...

Those are great gifts! And your right, I'm sure they have tons of lotions by now. I know your leaving soon, so congratulations and I hope you have a safe trip.

Anonymous said...

awesome awesome gifts...and you are OFF! Now, don't leave us hanging...can you believe it's time to GO?! :O)

Anonymous said...

Do I dare ask how you will fit this all in your 44 pounds of luggage?

Anonymous said...

Those are great gifts and I'm sure they will be treasured.Thank goodness you are the "packing queen"! LOL- love ya Cindy